For regular HTML page content, no loss of content or functionality happens with some changes to line height, letter or word spacing.
Why is this a problem?
- People with low vision may require increased space between lines, words, and letters are able to read text.
- People with dyslexia may increase space between lines, words, and letters to increase reading speed.
- White space between blocks of text can help people with cognitive disabilities comprehend sections of a page and call out boxes.
Accessibility Requirements for 1.4.12 Text Spacing (AA)
You can use a browser plug in or directly edit typographic CSS on a page to change the styles so that:
- Line height (line spacing) is at least 1.5 times the font size;
- Spacing following paragraphs is at least 2 times the font size;
- Letter spacing (tracking) to at least 0.12 times the font size;
- Word spacing to at least 0.16 times the font size.
Make sure that all text fits within its containing box without being cut off or without overlapping other boxes.
Common mistakes for 1.4.12 Text Spacing (AA)
- Not allowing or restricting the user from overriding text style.
Techniques for 1.4.12 Text Spacing (AA)
Each numbered item in this section represents a technique or combination of techniques that the WCAG Working Group deems sufficient for meeting this Success Criterion. However, it is not necessary to use these particular techniques. For information on using other techniques, see Understanding Techniques for WCAG Success Criteria, particularly the “Other Techniques” section.
Common Failures for 1.4.12 Text Spacing (AA)
The following are common mistakes that are considered failures of this Success Criterion by the WCAG Working Group.
- F104: Failure of Success Criterion 1.4.12 due to clipped or overlapped content when text spacing is adjusted
FAQs for Text Spacing
What is the correct line spacing?
Line spacing is the vertical distance between lines of text. Most writers use either double-spaced lines or single-spaced lines, nothing in between because those are the options presented by word processors. For most text, the optimal line spacing is between 120% and 145% of the point size.
How can we change the spacing between words in HTML?
1. Default word-spacing: normal; The spacing between the characters is normal. The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
2. Word-spacing: 5px; You can use pixel values.
3. Word-spacing: 2em; You can use em values: this allows the spacing to remain relative to the font-size.
How can we put spaces between text in CSS?
1. Default letter-spacing: normal; The spacing between the characters is normal. …
2. Letter-spacing: 2px; You can use pixel values. …
3. Letter-spacing: 0.1em; You can use em values: this allows the spacing to remain relative to the font-size.
What is the default line spacing in Word
The default line spacing in Word is 1.15. By default, paragraphs are followed by a blank line and headings have a space above them. , and then choose Line Spacing Options. … Adjust the Before and After settings if you want to change spacing between paragraphs.
Is line spacing the same as double spacing?
Line spacing is the space between each line in a paragraph. Microsoft Word allows you to customize the line spacing to be single spaced (one line high), double spaced (two lines high), or any other amount you want. Line spacing is also known as leading (pronounced to rhyme with wedding).