It must be possible for people to increase the size of text by up to 200%. This ensures that partially sighted people can comfortably read content.
Accessibility Requirements for 1.4.4 Resize text (AA)
- We need to decide whether we want to use text resize or zoom as the preferred mechanism.
Common mistakes for 1.4.4 Resize text (AA)
- When resizing visually rendered text up to 200 percent causes the text, image or controls to be clipped, truncated or obscured
- When text-based form controls do not resize when visually rendered text is resized up to 200%
Techniques for 1.4.4 Resize text (AA)
- C28: Specifying the size of text containers using em
- C12: Using percent for font sizes
- C13: Using named font sizes
- C14: Using em units for font sizes
- C17: Scaling form elements which contain text
- C20: Using relative measurements to set column widths so that lines can average 80 characters or less when the browser is resized
- C22: Using CSS to control visual presentation of tex
Your site doesn’t include support for the Accordion Item block. You can try installing the block, convert it to a Custom HTML block, or remove it entirely.
Common Failures for 1.4.4 Resize text (AA)
The following are common mistakes that are considered failures of Success Criterion 1.4.4 by the WCAG Working Group.
- F69: Failure of Success Criterion 1.4.4 when resizing visually rendered text up to 200 percent causes the text, image or controls to be clipped, truncated or obscured
- F80: Failure of Success Criterion 1.4.4 when text-based form controls do not resize when visually rendered text is resized up to 200%
FAQs about Resize text
What is text resizing?
Text resizing allows users who are visually impaired to increase the size of content without assistive technology while maintaining access to and functionality of the content. Providing a method to resize text will allow web content to meet WCAG 2.0 AA Guideline 1.4.4.
Which text resize is recommended to use for accessibility?
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0) recommend ensuring that text can be zoomed to 200%. As well, we recommend using liquid layouts that can accommodate 200% text.
How do I resize zoom in chat?
To adjust the font size of chat messages, use the dropdown box, labelled “Chat Display Size”. You can also use the keyboard shortcut “Ctrl + ‘+’” and “Ctrl + ‘-‘” to increase and decrease the font size respectively. The default font size is 100%, but you can also select 80, 120, 150, 180, and 200%
How do I stop HTML text resizing?
To prevent a text field from being resized, you can use the CSS resize property with its “none” value. After it you can use the height and width properties to define a fixed height and width for your <textarea> element.
Related to 1.4.4 Resize text (AA)