When a time limit like a session timeout is set, it must be possible for the user to turn it off, delay it, or extend the length of time. This ensures that people who need longer to complete tasks because of cognitive or mobility impairments, are able to do so comfortably.
Accessibility Requirements for 2.2.1 Timing adjustable (A)
- A mechanism is available to let users turn off, delay or extend time limits.
Common mistakes for 2.2.1 Timing adjustable (A)
- A time limit is set, but a user is unable to turn it off, delay it, or extend it;
- A time limit warning is displayed, but a user’s attention is not drawn to it in an appropriate way.
Techniques for 2.2.1 Timing adjustable (A)
Common Failures for 2.2.1 Timing adjustable (A)
The following are common mistakes that are considered failures of Success Criterion 2.2.1 by the WCAG Working Group.
- F40: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.1 and 2.2.4 due to using meta redirect with a time limit
- F41: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.1, 2.2.4, and 3.2.5 due to using meta refresh to reload the page
- F58: Failure of Success Criterion 2.2.1 due to using server-side techniques to automatically redirect pages after a time-out
FAQs for Timing Adjustable (A)
What are Official requirements for Timing Adjustable?
Turn off: The user is allowed to turn off the time limit before encountering it; or
Adjust: The user is allowed to adjust the time limit before encountering it over a wide range that is at least ten times the length of the default setting; or
Extend: The user is warned before time expires and given at least 20 seconds to extend the time limit with a simple action (for example, “press the space bar”), and the user is allowed to extend the time limit at least ten times; or
Real-time Exception: The time limit is a required part of a real-time event (for example, an auction), and no alternative to the time limit is possible; or
Essential Exception: The time limit is essential and extending it would invalidate the activity; or
20 Hour Exception: The time limit is longer than 20 hours.
How to ensure Time Adjustable is fixed?
1.Provide a way for the user to pause or extend the content presentation
2.Provide a way to turn off the time limit
3.Provide notification that the time limit is about to expire, and allow the user to extend it.